Establishing the fund
The need for a fund was identified when Corporal Nick Davis (Centre) Grenadier Guards lost his leg in Afghanistan in 2007. Whilst the Army was looking after him very effectively, there was no, real support system in place for his family. This made a group of friends gather together in Newark with the specific purpose of raising money to help both our service personnel, veterans and their families.
The Newark Patriotic Fund (NPF) was set up in 2008 : The aim of the fund is to provide support for Veterans and their families in the Newark area.
The fund meets its aims by providing the following support:
- Advocate for service users when accessing services
- Provision of mental health support and counselling
- Friendship and social events
- Promote the benefits ex service personnel bring to society
- Provide financial management training
- Assist with job applications
- Sign posting to provisions
- CV writing
- Job application
The Newark Patriotic Fund is not designed to be big or to be national – it is designed to be small and local. This is the beauty of the Fund because it enables us to react quickly.
Newark Patriotic Fund are working closely with lots of other organisations. Some of our partners can be found here or visit our links page.